5 Key Take-Aways from IDCE Day 2
1. Active communities that prepare citizens to be involved in the disaster recovery process are resilient, whereas passive communities are critically vulnerable.
2. Private citizens can focus disaster recovery information via social media with 98% reliability
3. In a disaster scenario, communities can self-correct, embracing good information and eschewing illegitimate sources.
4. Despite the extra work and the daunting efforts ahead, emergency managers must not be afraid of or avoid social media and in fact must harness and embrace the medium
5. A joint-communication system that asserts the responsibility and authority of centralized command and coordination between emergency managers, first responders, and the private sector must be developed.