What you don’t know about your IT “Zombie Devices” can really hurt you
Latest posts by Jackie Luo (see all)
- Government Property Mismanagement: Boeing’s Trouble with Misplaced Tools - March 29, 2019
- In Managing Physical Assets, It’s Not Just About Fixed Assets - February 22, 2019
- How eQuip! Supports Law Enforcement in Combatting the Opioid Epidemic - January 25, 2019
When we talked to IT managers, we asked about what scared them the most. It’s the things that they don’t know.
- They don’t know whether the asset data in their asset management system is up to date, and reconciled. Most likely it’s not. As a matter of fact, “100% of IT and Finance organizations are currently working with inaccurate data.” This is what our partners at the American Appraisal Associates shared with us from their experiences providing inventory audit services to IT departments.
- They don’t know all the devices that are accessing their network. Some of these devices are BYODs, some are bought by individual departments who haven’t registered the new purchases with the asset database.
- They don’t know how many devices are turned off. These devices are no longer accessing the network but still contain company data. Not knowing what they are or where they are make it impossible to manage the risk.
A few days ago, I spoke with Jerry Scala, the founder and Chief Product Development Officer of ITADSecurity. Jerry told me that “it’s what you don’t know that can hurt you.” According to ITADSecurity, “Zombie devices are smart phones, laptops, PC devices that are sitting idle, outdated, or lost, that are eating away companies’ bottom lines by the billions.”
How are these Zombies created? 60% are missing, 25% are known theft, and 15% are likely theft.
ITADSecurity is offering a one-time, free of charge Custom snapshot before the end of this year and they call it “Zombie Hunt”. This will allow organizations to have a baseline of their mobile and PC devices. ITADSecurity will follow up with regular analysis of the organization’s mobile and PC devices, and identify the rogue devices or some other at risks devices. This will give organizations the intelligence to manage risks, minimize financial loss, and potentially realize more gains from recovering services.
Check out these sample reports from the ITADSecurity’s Customer Snapshot services. Let us know if these Snapshots will help you to sleep better at night.
At E-ISG Asset Intelligence, we provide IT asset management solution out-of-box. If you start with having the complete and reconciled inventory data in the system, you will be able to take the snapshot information and find these devices that are at risk. Then you will have all the intelligence to manage the risks from your IT assets. Call us (443-927-1336) if you want to schedule a demo of our IT asset management software or discuss how to obtain the Custom snapshot service from ITADSecurity.