What should Engineers and Scientists Know about GFP and CAP? – Part 2 – Disposition of Government Property

This blog posted is contributed by Alex Barenblitt, CPPM, MBA. Alex leads the consulting practice for E-ISG Asset Intelligence on Government Property Management Business Processes

disposition of GFP

there are strict rules for disposing the remaining property in a government contract




This is a sequel to the previous blog “What do Engineers, Scientists and Product Managers need to know about Government Property Management rules”. 


Assume you are at the end of a project or contract, what do you do with the remaining property? The Government needs to have any remaining Property “dispositioned”.  That’s the term used to describe what needs to happen with the remaining property from the project or contract.  There are several possibilities, and the process typically requires submitting a list of remaining property to the Contracting Officer at the government agency for review. For example,

  • For DoD contracts, the list is submitted to a system called PCARSS, the Plant Clearance Automated Reutilization Screening System.
  • For other federal agencies/departments, the list is often submitted to a GSA system called GSAXcess.

Remember, it’s “their stuff”, so the government agencies get to say what happens with any excess, obsolete, damaged or any other sort of remaining property.

There is commonly an assigned individual, sometimes called a Plant Clearance Officer,  that determines what is in the best interests of the Government for what should happen to the remaining property.  But what can/should a Contractor do with this Property?  Of course the Contractor must follow the Government’s instructions, but the Contractor can also request permission for a specific use or disposition type.  There is some paperwork to do, but it’s pretty simple.  You just need to keep the Government Property folks at your organization informed with updated record keeping.

In just about every case, the best choice is to “re-utilize”.  In other words, you can obtain permission to use any remaining property for another project or contract.  You can’t just re-purpose it, or keep it for a future use without permission.  But you can ask to keep it for future use that is unplanned, “just in case”.

A second to best choice is to transfer the remaining property to the Government for re-utilization by the Government or another contractor.

Other alternatives would be reselling the property, donating to non-profit organizations, demilitarizing, recycling or simply scrapping the property.  Of course, any of these actions require the approval of the Government. And if the Government does want you to store it for them for their own possible future use, you can properly negotiate to be paid a storage fee to cover your costs for storage.

Keep in mind that you can get creative, so long as you disclose what you want to do and get Government permission.  For instance, let’s say you have some well-worn transit cases that were designed to ship electronics gear in.  Instead of scrapping them, why not consider donating them to Scouts to transport camping gear?  And let’s say you have some cosmetically beat-up sledgehammers and axes that go in a HMMWV Basic Issue Kit.  Maybe recommend a donation to the local Volunteer Fire Company or Disaster Relief organization.



Related posts

Escape Excel Hell

As a facility or property manager, one of your most important goals must be...

Comments are currently closed.